To celebrate the release of Disney-Pixar’s Incredibles 2, follow us into an incredible journey through what you must know about the film: meet the director and Edna's voice, discover how to be a hero and all the funniest facts about the Parr family.
The highly anticipated release of the Disney-Pixar sequel is finally here. After 14 long years, we’re finally getting Incredibles 2 – and everything points to it being absolutely Super.
The Incredibles blew everyone away when it was first released in 2004. This sequel is cut very much from the same Edna Mode-approved cloth: the jokes come thick and fast but so too do the super heroics, with new villain Screenslaver proving more than a match for the Parr family.
We're all excited about the return of the incredible Parr family this July, and ODEON sat down with Incredibles 2 director, Brad Bird, and producers, Nicole Paradis Grindle and John Walker to talk diva moments from Edna Mode, Pixar Easter Eggs and super powers. Just watch our interviews below!
To celebrate the release of Disney-Pixar’s Incredibles 2, here’s our 6-point guide to becoming a superhero worthy of the Parr family (plus some heroic facts...).
1. HAVE A MEMORABLE ORIGIN STORY
In Bob and Helen Parr’s world, ‘Supers’ (as superheroes are called) are born with their powers. In the MCU, however, they tend to develop them (through irradiated spider bites and the like). Whichever ‘start’ you choose, make sure it’s Hollywood-worthy (you never know!) and that you stick to it. Continuity is king in the world of capes and cowls.
Heroic fact: Incredibles 2 picks up the action 45 seconds after the first movie ended.
2. PICK A COOL NAME
If you want to be taken seriously as a superhero, then you need a seriously Super name, preferably one that reflects your power (see 5). The Parr clan, who are back in action this July after a 14-year absence, are the ideal case in point. From the super-strong Mr. Incredible and the super-stretchy Elastigirl to their super-speedy son Dash, each moniker sums its owner up perfectly.
Heroic fact: The Incredibles 2 trailer is the most viewed animated trailer of all time.
3. GET IN SHAPE (AND STAY THAT WAY)
When your job is saving the world, it’s important to stay in tip-top condition. Just like Bob Parr was in the original Incredibles. He’s not quite so, erm, Super in this sequel. As producer Nicole Paradis Grindle puts it: “Kids can wear you down.”
Heroic fact: Craig T. Nelson, who voices Mr. Incredible, began his career as a comedian, which might explain Bob Parr’s impeccable comic timing.
4. DEVELOP AWESOME POWERS
With a few notable exceptions, you can’t be a superhero without a superpower. And while having one is good, having lots – like little Jack-Jack Parr – is better. He can levitate, shape-shift, teleport, phase and spontaneously combust, and that’s just for starters.
Heroic fact: According to effects supervisor, Bill Watral, the biggest challenge faced by the Incredibles 2 effects team was maintaining Jack-Jack’s babyish features even when he was turning to goo or a demon. “We spent a lot of time making sure he was always appealing.”
5. KIT YOURSELF OUT
Next up: costume. If we may be so bold, why not try the services of Edna ‘E’ Mode? She’s the Super-fierce seamstress who dressed the Parrs in the original – and she’s back with her resolute rules of superhero fashion in Incredibles 2, number 1 of which is ‘No Capes’.
Be warned though, as director Brad Bird reveals: “E takes over every room she enters. No matter how big and strong the people around her are – and she’s often surrounded by Supers – her personality just dominates. I think we all summon our inner E during our most confident moments.”
Heroic fact: Edna is voiced by returning director and two-time Oscar winner Brad Bird.
6. BE ALERT FOR SUPERVILLAINS
They can usually be spotted thanks to their evil cackle, but sometimes – annoyingly – they hide in plain sight, too. In Incredibles 2, the Parr family have double trouble on their hands with the return of the Underminer from the first movie and also a mesmerising new villain known as the Screenslaver. Who or what is behind that sinister mask?
Heroic fact: Pixar regular John Ratzenberger provides the voice of the happiness-destroying Underminer. He’s also Hamm in Toy Story, Mack in Cars and John in WALL-E.
Impress your friends with these Super, little-known facts about Pixar’s latest animated marvel!
1. As is Pixar tradition, Incredibles 2 features an Easter Egg for the acclaimed animation company’s next movie – in this case, Toy Story 4. Toy Story 4 was actually due to be released first, but with production on Incredibles 2 moving at the speed of Dash Parr (i.e. really, really quick), the two were swapped around.
2. The idea for the original film came to director Brad Bird during the 1990s, when he was struggling to juggle work commitments with family life. Brad has three children with wife Elizabeth Canney.
3. John Ratzenberger returns as the voice of The Underminer in Incredibles 2. The former Cheers actor is something of a lucky charm for Pixar, appearing in every one of the animation company’s movies to date.
4. According to director Brad Bird, the epic fight scene between Helen Parr/Elastigirl (Holly Hunter) and the nefarious masked baddie Screenslaver was inspired by the classic 1963 James Bond film, From Russia With Love.
5. The original Incredibles movie is the only Pixar film NOT to feature the Pizza Planet delivery truck, first seen in 1995’s Toy Story. That oversight has been rectified this time around, although the vehicle has been given a retro makeover to fit in with the 1960s setting of this sequel.
6. If you look VERY closely, you’ll see that the spirals on the Screenslaver’s nefarious hypnosis machine form a lopsided Mickey Mouse. The Walt Disney Company bought Pixar for 7.4 billion dollars in 2006.
Picking up the action 45 seconds after we left it in The Incredibles, this Super sequel sees Elastigirl becoming the Parr family’s main crimefighter, while Mr. Incredible (aka Bob Parr) keeps an eye on their three kids. Meanwhile, a diabolical new villain named Screenslaver is on the loose, and Jack-Jack’s powers are growing exponentially.
Let your family be Incredible!
To celebrate the release of 'Incredibles 2', we are giving away an ‘Incredibles' superhero face mask to all guests. Exclusive to ODEON, you and your family can become your very own team of superheroes!
ODEON are proud to partner with Disney in support of the Incredibles 2, 24 Hour Challenge initiative this Summer! Designed to inspire families or teams of friends to get active and have fun, whilst fundraising for UNICEF, helping to build a better world for children.