Tim Miller’s Terminator: Dark Fate wipes clean the slate to set its story in the aftermath of the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
A little hazy on those events? Thank goodness then for our handy past, present and future timeline, which brings you up to speed on the key goings- on in T2, its predecessor The Terminator and this newest, hotly anticipated chapter. Don’t miss it in ODEON cinemas from 23 October!
It’s the ‘day after’ Judgement Day, but how did we get here – and what’s next?
• The T-800, a seemingly invincible killing machine, arrives from the future to ‘terminate’ waitress Sarah Connor. Human Resistance fighter Kyle Reese is sent to protect her.
• Kyle Reese is killed in action, while the T-800 is also terminated. A grief-stricken but battle-hardened Sarah discovers that she is pregnant with Kyle’s baby.
• Cyberdyne Systems – a large manufacturing corporation – recovers the remains of the T-800 from a hydraulic press. Uh-oh!
• Sarah gives birth to John Connor, the future leader of the Resistance.
• Nine-year-old John is taken into foster care after Sarah attempts to blow up a computer factory.
• Sarah’s continued insistence that ‘Judgement Day’ is coming results in the authorities locking her up in a mental hospital.
• A new model of Terminator, the T-1000, is sent from the future to kill 10-year-old John, while a reprogrammed T-800 (now answering to the Resistance) arrives to protect him.
• The T-800 and John rescue Sarah from the mental facility. Together they destroy Cyberdyne Systems, the corporation responsible for the creation of the artificial intelligence system, Skynet.
• After an almighty battle the T-1000 is terminated. The T-800 then sacrifices itself to prevent any further reverse engineering.
• The year Skynet was supposed to become self-aware and initiate ‘Judgement Day’. (This future was seemingly thwarted by the events of 1995.)
• The Rev-9, a new Terminator capable of dividing into two functioning units, arrives from the future to kill young Dani Ramos. Grace, a human-machine hybrid (or as she puts it: “human... just enhanced”) is sent by the Resistance to protect her.
• Original survivor Sarah Connor, who is still alive and still hunting Terminators, agrees to help Grace take care of Dani “because I was her”.
ODEON note: Terminator: Dark Fate takes place 27 years after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Said Dark Fate director Tim Miller of the storyline: “There’s this new future because of what Sarah did at the end of Terminator 2 and it’s worse than ever!”
Terminator: Dark Fate – in cinemas from 23 October.